Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Facebook Drug: an addict or a remedy?


Facebook is a common social network used by numerous people around the world. I use Facebook, and so do most of my friends and their families. It includes entertainment applications, communication with people, and photos and videos. So, what's bad about Facebook?

Whenever I go online, messages or notifications are waiting for me. Even if I went online to ask about homework assignments, my hand automatically clicks on the messages rather than asking what I needed to know. This leads to spending more time on Facebook than necessary, which does waste my study time. It is also highly addictive: David C, a facebook user, said, "it's useful when you know what to do, but when you dont, it's just like drugs (you can't stop)." Another disadvantage of Facebook is the stalkers who randomly add friends on Facebook and see personal information and relationships. I have been added by many strangers and I confirmed them as my friends; however, after I realized the bad consequences, they were immediately erased from my friends list. It showed me how my personal life may be put into extreme danger.

At the same time, Facebook is a great way to communicate with others. It makes contacting with friends easy; Sarabeth F, 16, said, "I can keep up with so many friends from so many places!" Many have friends from other countries, and phone calls are too expensive to make, which makes chatting on Facebook the easiest and cheapest. I have lived in four countries, and have made wonderful friends that I still want to keep in contact with. After I started Facebook, it was much easier to communicate with them. I got to see how they have changed throughout the years, too: "it's great for sharing with pictures that friends and family in other coutries couldn't otherwise see," said Nathan B. It also helps people become more social with friends and get involved in events. Furthermore, it definitely helps when I need to ask questions about homework or projects to classmates or teachers. Usually, when I accidentally forget to write my assignments in class, I can ask them right away on Facebook. Facebook can also be a way to have a study session with my friends. We can create a message about test topics. Still lots of people say that unnecessary applications bother them. A pro-Facebook user, Michelle P simply said, "I don't mess around with any applications and stuff really because it is way to easily waste time."

Overall, Facebook is a wonderful social network website where we can do all sorts of things. I personally obtain much benefit from Facebook by seeing my childhood friends and getting information about events and assignments. Facebook is a way to socialize with people all around the world. If we can control ourselves not to be addictive, then it's fine. No one can prevent hundreds of millions of people from using Facebook, including me.

3 comments:

Morgan B. said...

I liked reading about your encounters with Facebook.

Julie A said...

I like it how you were objective throughout the whole article.

Anonymous said...

Hey inae, great hook, i was hooked? like morgan said, i like your diffrent encounters with facebook